24days.....

I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say today.... but when I decided to go in and start writing - figured something would come to mind - I saw my count down ticker saying 24days...... left until IM CDA.

Really, it's really only 24days away?

I know I'm ready to taper...but am I really ready to do this crazy thing? I've done all the training, I've rested when needed, bought everything tri related (and then some). Figured out my nutrition (last minute of course), made travel arrangements. It sure seems like I'm ready on paper....

I start to think of the day. Waking up when it's still dark out. Our house of 7 ironmen, and soon to be ironmen will be up eating, getting dressed, FREAKING OUT (ok, maybe that's just me).

Then I start to think of the swim start. The MASSES of people trying to get into the lake at the same time. I've heard about it, I've even seen it up close. I just can't believe that I am going to be in that craziness shortly. Then my heart jumps like 50bpm and I start imagining getting kicked and pushed and looking at my watch as I have so many times before when my swim has not gone as planned.

I don't know why I'm stressing so much about the swim. I am a good swimmer. I've even gotten a little bit faster this season. It's just for some reason I'm not a GOOD race swimmer. I have had a few good race times, but I've also had several bad race times.

I know it's the shortest section of the day, but for some reason THIS is where I want to do well. I want to finally put that bad race swim karma behind me and get my confidence back. If I can get out of the swim in a good time, I feel like it will help lift my confidence for the rest of the day.

The bike is what it is. It's a LONG LONG time. I don't really have to worry to much about my HR, except on the hills. My HR is always fairly low on the bike. I need to focus on keeping my sodium levels good, and eating & drinking. Hopefully I don't have to go pee 5 times like normal :-) Don't get me wrong, I'm not above peeing on the bike... but I'll save that for the shorter races..... I don't know that I could handle going around in my own silt for THAT many hours! I think I can have a pretty good bike if all goes well. Not too fast, Not too slow If all goes well & I have no flats, no nutrition issues.... We'll see.

The run.... This part is totally up in the air for me. I have not run a marathon in 3.5 years. I know it's not the same, but still.. it is a marathon. My bricks have gone well, although my HR has been REALLY high due to the 100 deg weather here in phoenix by the time we do the run portion. My running has slowly gotten faster. I started this training running like an 11min pace around 150-155lbms. Today, during my speed training workout I was doing an 8min pace at a HR of 160-165. By the end I finally went anaerobic & was clocking some 7:20-7:40/mile paces for sets of 400meters. My HR was about 170-175. That's still in my zone 3, beginning of 4.

You just really never know what this day will bring, do you? What can my body do? What can it sustain. I know I am tough. I know I can work thru the pain.... I know I can handle whatever life throws at me on that day...... More than anything I guess - I am curious. Curious to see what this 29 year old, retired party girl can really do!!!

Comments

momo said…
you are going to rock it, that's what you're going to do. you've done all the work, girlfriend. you just have to go enjoy the party now. and it will be a party - believe me. you will laugh, you will cry, you will curse everything and everyone you know, but in the end, you will jump up and down for joy when you cross that finish line because you will KNOW, you will absolutely, 100 percent KNOW that you are an ironman.

funny thing, though - you're already an ironman. what you've endured to get you to this point... that's been the test and you've passed it with flying colors. crossing that finish line, well, that's just the graduation ceremony.
Hey, Momo -- that's what I was going to say!
K: you're prepared. all you have left is this very-doable, one-day hazing ritual, and then you are in the FRATERNITY!!!
;-)

The day will just go by. You'll be amazed. Even if the first couple hundred yards of the swim you are breathing a little "tight", just get in your groove and you'll settle in after a couple minutes.

By the time I get in the water for Zurich (with the time change) - I will have been able to check out your and momo's swim segments!
Jenny
Andra Sue said…
I'm so excited for you...just from reading your blog, I have a distinct feeling you will completely kick ass on Ironman day!

Have faith, sistah!
Benson said…
It looks like you've thought it all out. good. now just let it flow. you'll rock. good luck and godspeed.
Paul said…
You're going to be fine! Once the swim is started you'll turn into the racing machine that you are.

One tip for you: I figured this one out after the race (which was too late). Have nutrition plan A and Plan B. If plan A fails, you have a backup. Otherwise it makes for a long day.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'