Surprise!!!! - an EPIC, LONG post!

Remember this post? Well, I pretty much thought THAT was my birthday. I know it's supposed to be a 'monumental' year, you know the big 30 and all, but I just didn't really care. Or, maybe deep down, I did... but the LaPan's, S, in particular is having quite the year. Big changes, big lifetime changes going on right now, and honestly, I just didn't think it was possible for him to have the time or energy to be planning anything.

Plus, I'm smart. Sometimes too smart for my own good and I figure stuff out. Not much can get past me, but thist time, it SO did.

I think some of the biggest kept secrets were from momo. I mean, really. How is it possible for her to keep a surprise party from me. We talk EVERY day. Not once, not twice, but like 10 times. Phone, Email, IM. We talk about the exact same things all the time, yet somehow never seem to run out of things to say.

Let me digress a bit. Last year a group of us starting some wine tasting parties. They were a hit! Unfortunately, with IM training there were 7 of our group not so much energized for the wine tasting. So, around October I decided it had been a year, and it was time. Many people were asking me about it..... now it was time to just set the date.

With the holidays coming up, dates when everyone was available were limited. So, I narrowed it down to Dec. 8th. Which also happened to be my sisters birthday. However, I wasn't concerned about it, because for the last several years, including her 29th b-day when she CANCELLED her birthday dinner with a temper-tantrum because her NEXT birthday she would be turning 30, she hasn't really been into the whole group celebration.

Momo offered to host the party, which I thought would be great, because a lot of people were interested in coming this time, and her house is big and open and a great entertaining place.

So, on with the planning I went. I created the invite, set the date, times, etc.... Started getting RSVPs right away. The group started to get bigger & bigger, with about 30 people coming. I had to adjust the rules a bit. I was sending update after update. 1st it was, we need appetizers. Only a few had offered to bring them, which was unusual, because we usually have way too much food. 2nd was to ask people to pair up and bring 3 bottles. 2 for tasting & one for reserve. Because, well because who can make 1 bottle last for 30 people to taste? Yah, not so much us!

Momo & I talked several times about the party. Each time she seemed more and more concerned that she didn't know what was going on. She wasn't in control (which if you know her, she LIKES to be in control!). So, I started explaining how everything works... and that I would have her do the instructions of how the tasting works, because frankly, I hate speaking in public. I hate being the center of attention, and I would love nothing more than the spotlight to be on SOMEONE else!

Saturday came and I started my day with a spin class and short swim. I knew all the calories that lied ahead and I was trying to get a jump start. Shane was "working" So the house was pretty quiet. I finished making my chocolate cake that I was bringing to the party, then sat down to snuggle with my dogs and watch a movie.

Shane got home around 3 and we took advantage of the nice afternoon by taking pictures for our infamous Christmas Card (just wait!!!).... then it was pretty much time for me to get in the shower. I told Melisa I would be to her house around 6-6:30 to help setup, as well as be there when people started to show up because there were a few of them that she did not know.

That's where things started to go a little differently than planned. I started to notice that Shane wasn't coming in to get ready. I was almost finished, and he was JUST coming back to get into the shower. It was like 10 to 6. I figured he just had to take a quick shower than shave and he was good to go.

WRONG

The boy takes like a 20mins shower, I swear! Big J calls and says, "I thought you were coming over to help!" I was like "shit... we are.... It's Shane's fault. He's late. " We'll be leaving in 5 minutes!" OR NOT.

I have no idea how HE managed to keep us at the house for another 35minutes, but he did. I was running around frantically, getting all of our stuff together. Our wine, extra glasses, my water (hangover prevention), my cake, the brown bags for the wine party.....

Feeding the dogs, getting them toys, finished ironing Shane's shirt because honestly, does it REALLY TAKE THAT LONG.

I did NOT want the RATH of big J!

So, finally we are on our way. Figured we'd get there about 10 to 7. Late, as usual... but a lot more than my usual 10mins late. I made Shane call Melisa and say it was totally HIS fault! She said, no big deal, everything was under control, ready...

As we got thru the gates into Melisa's neighborhood, and turned the street to her house there were SO MANY cars. First I saw a group of cars on the street next to theirs and I said, "wow, someone ELSE is having a party too."

Then we got to Melisa's house. CARS. EVERYWHERE. SHIT.SHIT We are SO late. How could this be. It's 5 to 7. No one is EVER on time. No one is EVER here before 7. I STILL didn't think anything of it, except get our asses inside so we could help with the introductions.

As we got closer to the house you could hear everyone having a great old time..... and I saw a couple things out of the norm. I first saw what I THOUGHT was a server.... pouring wine into someones glass.... STILL not "getting it" I figured did Melisa & Johny seriously hire help for this wine party? I know sometimes they go over board, but really?

The next thing gave it away...... A big letter sign reading "HAPPY Birthday...." As I walked inside my mouth literally dropped to the floor. EVERYONE was there. And, not just everyone from the Wine Party Evite, but my parents, several other friends.... Friends that either did not respond to the evite, or were not on the list, because they had declined so many of the other wine parties, I figured they just weren't into it.

I was COMPLETELY shocked. Shane and several of my friends (I'm still not sure who all was in on the planning) had completely thrown me off. Hired caterers, waiters, invited my family and all my other friends..... ALL WITHOUT ME KNOWING!

As I mentioned above, I don't do well in the spotlight. I was shaking..... I tried to go around and greet everyone, but like I said.... I was in shock. First things first. I NEED WINE!

Thank goodness for those waiters... they were the best. Never with an empty glass ;-)

After about an hour of mingling, a few snacks and a couple glasses of wine, Melisa & Shane called everyone into the living room.

Shane gave an incredibly sweet speach about me, and everything that has been going on, and thanking me, with this party... AND one other special thing. From him and MOMO.

As soon as he said from him & momo, I knew.... Shane pulled out a large rectangle box from the tree... I looked up at M and said, "do I know what THIS is?" She nodded!

As I was opening up the box, Melisa was telling the story. The story of how we spent the night in Vegas after our marathon. I'm not a gambler, and Melisa was too tired to really be into it. So, Sunday afternoon we walked around the forum shops. Neither of us really "into" the whole shopping thing we had nothing catching our eyes. That is until we walked into the Donald Pliner store.

First thing that caught my eye. On a shelf directly to the left of the entrance. The most BEAUTIFUL red boots I had ever seen. Sort of a western style, but with flare. I high stiletto heel, soft suede leather... they were true art (can you SEE my obsession with RED and with Shoes now?)

I did not/could not buy these boots. They were WAY too much money. But, just like normal, I began obsessing about these shoes. As soon as we were home I was online trying to find them. With NO luck. Anywhere. And, I can find ANYTHING on the web. Finally I broke down & called the Vegas Pliner store. I was informed that these were a special edition made only for the Vegas store.

Of course just my luck. I'm so not finding these on an internet deal. I still couldn't' get them out of my mind. I knew Melisa was going to Vegas the next weekend so I asked her to take a picture of them for me. Just so I could see if I still loved them as much....

No picture came back with momo. But, apparently a box with my new boots did! She had called Shane while she was there and somewhat explained them to him (although I'm pretty sure I already had). They decided to get them for me for my birthday.

Momo, I can NOT.THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

I heart them. They are beautiful and perfect and ALL.MINE!

So, finally after the boot surprise it was on to the wine tasting. Which went fantastic. More friends showed up to wish me a happy birthday. Everyone seemed to have a fabulous time. Great food, great wine (Shane & I got 2nd place with THIS wine - it is FANTASTIC), great friends (Nat, Jeff and brand new baby Lucy even showed up. She just gave birth on WED!!)great EVERYTHING! It was my happiest birthday ever! Even if I hate surprises!

Only a couple of "oops" the whole night. BY none other than the two wine queens, which I am just going to keep nameless, because WE KNOW WHO WE ARE ;-)

Thank SOMETHING because I woke up Sunday not feeling the best, but no where near as bad off as I could have been. A little under the weather, but not SICK. We went to breakfast, which was a bit rough for me, then went of to the Angelones to get all our stuff.

A couple of mimosas later (my new FAVORITE hangover cure - this stuff is SO going with me to Mexico) Shane & I were on our way home to watch movies, and snuggle with the dogs on the couch ALL DAY LONG!

A special thanks to my husband, my heart is so much happier with you. And, to my hosts the Angelones. I'm so happy and lucky to have you in my life. And momo, the boots, really.... I am i LOVE! :-)

Comments

Carrie said…
What a great post- very entertaining to read!
momo said…
i am so RELIEVED that you were surprised!! :-) i don't think i could have acted any dumber about the whole thing.

happy, happy birthday girlfriend. those boots rock! i think you need a new outfit to go with them...
Supalinds said…
What a fantastic birthday. Sounds like you have a great husband and great friends...and the boots...love them!!!
Di said…
I'll bet you snuggled on the couch - in your boots!!
Andra Sue said…
Happy 30th!!! Those are some stunning boots, girlie. :-)
Paul said…
Looks like they gotcha! What a cool deal. Momo and Shane really pulled that one off.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'