My favorite new snack

Finally. A protein powder that agrees with me. I've had some really bad issues digesting dairy in the past few years. I tried every.single recovery drink out there.. They made me sick and I would throw them up, as well as my throat feeling like it was closing in on me.

I did figure out I can use soy protein, but we all know what happens with too much soy. Since I don't like meat, and struggle to get enough protein with peak training cycles, I'm really always looking for something new.

Then momo had me be her Guinea pig for some new rice protein powder she found. Sure why not.. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll just throw it up like the rest of them, right? Jeez, not like I'm a sacrificing friend or anything. After all, I just COULD find a new supplement, right?

So, sure enough I went home, put it with some frozen berries and OJ and blended in the Magic Bullet. (BTW - this product is freaking awesome. Quick, non-messy way to make endless mixtures, including gatorade smoothies after those really long workouts!)

The results; A great snack, no stomach upset, extra protein! YEAH.

So, over the past few weeks I've been experimenting. I went to Whole Foods looking for some more Brown Rice Protein, and found some CHOCOLATE Brown Rice protein powder. You know what goes just perfect with chocolate? Yup, my favorite. Peanut Butter...

I've finally put together the perfect combo:

cup of ice (or to your liking depending on preferred thickness)
3/4 cup chocolate rice milk (120 cals, ~1.75grams protein, 2.25g fat)
1.5 tablespoons of Peanut Butter (150 cals, 7grams protein, ~11g fat)
1 heaping tablespoon of chocolate brown rice protein powder (57cals, 12protein, <1g fat)

Total Nutrition:
327 calories, ~21 grams protein, 14grams fat (peanut butter)

If you don't have lactose issues you can use skim milk instead of the rice milk and get about half the calories and added protein.

While this is a little heavy on calories for a snack (unless you are Ironman training of course), rest assured, it will keep you full for several hours! I just made one, and should actually be full until dinner time - that's a record 4 hour time between :-)

Anyway - if you love chocolate and PB... this is a fantastic treat!

Comments

momo said…
you absolutely got it 100% right. i figured if you threw it up - i wasn't even trying it. :-)

i like it too! i've had a shake the past few days and NO ISSUES. and you know how those issues of mine can be... :-)
Bigun said…
only thing it's missing: crumbled up oreo cookies.

and bacon.

everything's better with bacon. Just ask Shane.
Benson said…
OMG, chocolate and PB is my favorite too!
Good on ya for figuring out a tummy friendly "snack".

And the magic bullet, it's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets next to my rice steamer.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'