Can someone please turn the AC on in AZ?

I can't believe I actually just signed up for a race... I mean... My HR was 5beats higher and :15/mile slower today cause it was an f'ing sauna out there... So what do I do when I get home?

THIS


I've had friends left and right trying to get me to sign up for races.... I just haven't been able to "commit" to anything. The "iffy" IT band.... The horendous heat in AZ. The thought of having to stuff my face every 2 hours and still not feeling full again. Wait, has that actually even stopped? Hmmm

But low and behold, leave it to an email stating "Hurry up! Prices increase Aug 3rd!" Sure enough I'm a sucker for a "deal" so to speak and hate paying full price or MORE for that matter so I went ahead and did it.

It was my first half Ironman in 2005. It was my 2nd race post IT surgery. It was a big deal to me. I surprised myself by finishing about 25mins ahead of what I thought I could do.

As much as I hate the course - I'm excited for the bike. The last time I raced it I did 2:57 - 19mph. I barely knew what I was doing then... I'm going to focus on the bike and run quite a bit less this time to spare my IT band. Let's see what Mini-Me can do!!!

Anyone else joining me? I hear someone else is interested!!! P.S. I just saw a SW special on flights from your home town to mine!!

Comments

Bigun said…
some rd needs to put together a "free shoes" deal with race registration - now that would be a "deal" ....

and I don't mean running shoes...
SWTrigal said…
Except for the annoying heat wave last year, I LOVED the Soma course! I had a PR despite the heat. You will do great as long as that dang heat settles down out there.
Unknown said…
although i swore i'd never jump in tempe town lake again... i might be interested in the quarter if benny does the half.

you get the fun job of convincing him, though.

good luck with that.
Anonymous said…
Hello! I came across your blog through momo's...I'm doing the Soma half, too!

It will be just my second half, Buffalo Springs was my first this year.

Hope the heat doesn't kill me!
Erin said…
If I didn't have a wedding coming up and plane fare to DC for the Marine Corps Marathon to pay for, I would totally think about doing this. Most of the 1/2 irons around here are done for the year, and I'm not quite ready to be. Alas...
Supalinds said…
Hmmm, I like the idea of a half ironman during that time frame. Not really into Tempe Town Lake but I will never know if I don't try it, right?

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'