I'm a wanna be runner, A.K.A - a swimmer, I guess

"What goes around comes around, just like a flip turn". ~Author Unknown
I just kinda thought that was a cute quote :-)

A lot of triathletes fall into the sport after starting out with just one of the three; swimmer, cyclist or runner. I have no idea the actual supporting data, but I would put my money on the fact the majority started out as runners. We get injured or bored, or in typical Type A fashion, need that next challenge.

I fell into the "injured" category of runner turned triathlete. After a solid 3 years of IT band injuries than another yearish of post surgery & rehab, I was forced to retire my "I am a runner mantra" and focused a lot more on training for triathlons than stand alone running events. Sure, I've dabbled back & done a couple of marathons, but each time I think I'm going to get back to my running roots, by body disagrees and sends me every imaginable sign as to why I should cut it out. Of course every time that I hear about friends having successful marathons (my bff from high school just did her first marathon, ROCKED it & we were texting about doing one together while I was basking in HER runner's high) I get that itch to get back out there, but I'm hoping to stick to my senses for the most part!

Being one of those injured peeps so much I definitetly spent my fair share of time in the pool. Thinking back, I don't think I enjoyed it nearly as much then when it was more of a last resort because I couldn't do anything else than I do now.

It's hard to explain how I feel when I'm swimming. I'm not sure if it's the free feeling of not actually connecting to something like foot to the ground or clipped into a bike pedal, but the gliding across the water, weightless.

I use a watch with lap splits to remind myself where I'm at in the set because I can lose count in a set even as short as a 200. I think about goals and remember fun times. I forget about the "to do list" or sad times and just kind of lose myself in the moment.

Don't get me wrong, not every swim is like this. There are times when I'm killing myself to get through a set or want to shoot myself thinking about staring at that black line for one more minute, but I think with everything we do these moments are expected.

I also think that I, as well as a lot of other people tend to favor something that they are good at. While as much as I wish I could call myself a true runner, when I look at my results, especially in a triathlon it's clearly not my strongest point. I work hard at all 3 of the disciplines, but sure enough I keep coming out of the water strong, hang tough on the bike and get chased down on the run :-)

I'm not the best swimmer and it certainly isn't EASY for me, but I've worked really hard to get where I am and can honestly say how much I love it. So, if you ever hear my complaining about getting into a cold (or hot) pool, just tell me to shut up :-)

Cause swimming. It's my yoga. So why would I choose to branch out and take up something that just doesn't make me feel happy? Sorry Coach.... I'm gonna be a tough sell on this one. Maybe if I learn to do something new like say, the butterfly....I can ignore the request to do yoga?


Namaste :-)

Comments

momo said…
i want to love swimming. actually i think i DO love the swimming part itself, i just hate the part about having to shower and wash my hair that often. that's ridiculous, isn't it? ;) its the truth tho.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Kona 23'

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge