Sassy, Sun Goddess Sara..

Last week we (used loosely, as I couldn't bring myself to go with Shane or it would have only made matters worth for both of them to have me there) had to put our oldest dog Sara down.

I've only been through this one other time in my life and I was only 14years old - I had the dog my entire life, and my parents held on to her for far longer than she should have been around, for my sake. I know now how wrong that was, and wish I could have helped her not suffer quite as long...

I can't go into much of the detail about Sara, it's just too hard. But, what I can say is what a good life she had, once Shane rescued her 11 years ago. She was abused, scared, about half her full size and on her last day. She crawled into Shane's lap at the Petsmart rescue, and it was meant to be....

I came into her life about 4 years later and she was never afraid of me. She followed me around from room to room from day 1.

I think she learned a lot about being part of a family, vs being a DOG from Baxter. He showed her being loved and getting attention is GOOD, and she deserved it to. She still had a mind of her own, did what she wanted when she wanted, hence the name Sassy Sara.

She was such a great dog. Easy to get along with, easy to care for and such a sweet girl. She will, forever be missed...

I have to go through some old boxes to find some younger pictures of her, but here are a few from the last year or so.....










Comments

Supalinds said…
Sweet Sara, what a great dog! She had a great life, thanks to Shane and you! Hugs!
Molly said…
Oh! I'm so sorry! Sara was beautiful and you will have those years together in memory forever. No matter how long we have with them, it never ever seems like enough and it never gets any easier. HUGE hugs for you and Shane.
Spokane Al said…
I am sorry to hear about your loss and trust that the good memories will stay with you for a long, long time.
Kate said…
I am so sorry to hear about Sweet Sara. What a beautiful girl. It just leaves such a hole in your heart. :( I'm so sorry for both you and Shane.
Michelle said…
Krista - I was just through this last November with my precious Tiger, she was a 10.5 year old Boxer. She was the love of my life and I kept asking the vet if she was in pain. He told me I would know when it was time. He was right that Sunday morning I 'knew' Tiger needed to rest. It doesn't get easier. I am crying as I write this, I miss her everyday. Sara is a beautiful dog and remember the good times with her. She looks like she was a dainty dog ! Hugs to both you and Shane and her doggy siblings.
M said…
krista - i am so sorry to hear about this. what a beautiful part of the family.
jessithompson said…
I am so sorry to hear this. We have been through this and it is so hard. One of my favorite books is Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. It's actually a kids' book, but honestly I loved it (and cried through it).

As for your tri question, I've done both races and really enjoyed both of them! Lots of good support and well organized in the past.
Erin said…
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I had tears in my eyes as I read this post. I had to put my first Vizsla down five years ago, and thinking about it still makes me weep. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. They give us so much, don't they? But it sounds like you gave Sara a second chance at life and happiness, too, and for that I'm certain she'll be forever grateful.

Sending good thoughts your way in this difficult time.
Unknown said…
oh, i'm so sorry krista! i'm glad you were able to give her a good life. it will hurt for a while, but hopefully after the initial pain fades away, you can just remember all the great times you had with her.

hugs.
Andra Sue said…
Oh, I'm just now reading this! Krista, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. She was beautiful and had a great life and I know she will be missed.

If you haven't already, you should look up and read the Rainbow Bridge poem. It's a little silly, but comforting at the same time. :)

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'