Getting back to "normal"

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."--H. Jackson Brown

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I mean, what else do you do when you are recovering and used to feeling completely exhausted and having most of the hours of your day and week planned out. Well, that or eating, which unfortunately is still pretty high up there....

Ironman Canada was an experience of a life time. I worked hard, I met amazing people through the training journey and I found an awesome coach that brought out the best in me. While the 4am calls were getting a little old, truth be told I already miss it all. It's only been just over a week, and I guess if I didn't already have a packed schedule for the first half of next year I'd have what they call the post ironman blues.

Don't lie...you all know you've had some sort of form of them... We get hooked on the endorphins, the constant fatigue. The camaraderie, the annoyingly self absorbing training chitter chatter. While we are in it we can all at some time or another say we can't WAIT to get back to to NORMAL. Then, when we don't have that big thing to look forward to, we can't help but feel sort of, lost in a way.

After a disappointing second Ironman where nothing went as planned (for me), Shane & I had decided to take 2010 off from the long distance racing. The idea was to get back to basics, shorten the distance and hopefully get some speed back. Get out of the house more, be more social. I'm not really sure any of that happened as it sounded in our heads. While we did spend an amazing summer in Coeur d'alene, ID, about the only thing we improved on were our happy hour skills. If it were racing categories, I think we would have both been racing elite in the happy hour category. Just sayin.

As we ended our summer trip (exactly a year ago) we landed back home about 10lbs heavier (each) and feeling a little bit lost. We needed that carrot, that goal. I trained for a marathon, and Shane was really working on his career, but it still just didn't seem right. Then, at the end of February when we signed up for Ironman Canada things started to change. We got that passion back. The excitement of the unknown, the possibilities.

Truth be told, I don't think either of us realized how much happier we were individually, as well as together as a couple until we got back to what we do best. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out I suppose, our relationship began while training for our first adventure, the Monaco Marathon.

I know not everyone feels the same as we do. Not everyone feels the same about training and racing. I think I actually at times may have let other's ideas of "living" and enjoying life alter what was true to me. I let it get to me and make me feel like I should be doing something else.

I think it's really important that we all be true to ourselves. That we do what makes us happy and full of life. Starting a family, a new career, learning to cook or picking up a new sport. I'm not saying this is what I'll be doing until I'm in my 70s, but for now this is my thing. This makes me feel alive, and this is my normal.

With a little side of Mexico weekends and happy hours of course. As long as I'm still in bed by 9pm :-)

Comments

Sarah said…
Krista,

What a beautiful post. It is so hard to be true to yourself and what makes you happy, especially when others may have a different idea of what that should be. I'm glad to see that you and Shane are doing so well doing what you love! I get updates from Shelb from time to time, but nice to see it in your own words:)

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'