Walks like a duck?

I'm not really writing about walking like a duck, but I know there is some sort of saying about you are what you do? Or walks like a duck...or something like that.

And, if that were the case, then by many oh' standards I am becoming a fish. We all know I drink like a fish, but now I'm actually SWIMMING like a fish. Like holy hell, this is why people always say swimming is so hard. I guess I never really pushed hard, hence why I've been pretty much the same speed for I don't know, ever.

In January our masters group started a new format - like real masters swimmers. You swim with like speed people and swim in circles. I absolutely LOVE it. It pushes me. I don't know why, but it does. I'm not necessarily swimming with anyone faster than me, but something about being told to do a certain interval on a certain level with only :15 rest. It fires me. I'm not slacking just logging the workout in, I'm DOING the work.

Wednesday's are brutal. It's our speed day. I literally felt every muscle in my arm yesterday.. The workout went as following:

Warm Up 200 easy, 8x25 drill, 200 easy

Main set - 4 x (5x100) :15 rest
100's broken down as follows:
1. level 3 (half IMish race pace)
2 & 3. level 5 (all out, can not sustain)
4. first 25, head out of water, finish level 3
5. level 2 (all day long swimming)

200 recovery swim

6x50 - all out on first 25, easy back :20rest

100 cooldown -

I was actually a little queasy on the 4th set of the 100's. My coach must have been timing me, because on my second set she timed my 100 at 1:20 (no idea how she timed cause hitting my laps they were all at 1:24-1:25). She gave me an incredible compliment - she said it was FUN to watch my swimming and improving and she was so excited because it's only the beginning of the season and I'm swimming this well.

Maybe that is what is motivating me to swim 9000k yards a week? I'm actually finally improving?

I'm also doing it as a rehab. As this is the year of shorter/fun/faster/racing..... I'm trying to reap the benefits for my poor jacked up knees/IT bands. Running no more than 15-20 miles a week, the swimming is really helping me keep endurance while not messing up my legs.

But people, I had NO idea how swimming like this would make me so hungry?!?! Anyone else? I'm starving, like all the time. Thank God Shane is doing the workouts or I think I would be out-eating him too....

Oh yah, and don't forget the line-backer shoulders. Really? Like I need that. I'd like to buy a new bra size for the cup, not the measurement around. That's just not FAIR!

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm finally coming out of my shell, pushing like I haven't done in a long time - and you know what? It's FUN!

Now, if I could just learn how to sight in open water :-)

Comments

Molly said…
Wow, that's awesome!!! I am the same way, just learning to push myself (though nowhere near as fast as you) in the pool. And YES (!!!!!!) swimming makes me starving!
Benson said…
Yay! Awesome!
You had me at "new bra..."
Mermaids are cool.
Eating is fun.
Supalinds said…
I still have not dared to try that workout! It looks so painful!! But sometime this week, I will.

Girl you are rockin it!! 9000 yards a week is no joke - I'd be eating my arm off!!!

Keep it up and you will keep getting better!!

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Kona 23'

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge