Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Back in the Grind

Last week was my first week back into official Ironman training.  I was so mentally ready for this.  I took a much longer, and more serious break after this past year of racing and Ironman AZ than ever.  At times it was hard (felt sluggish, fat, tired), but others it was a breath of fresh air (sleep in, it's COLD out, another glass of wine?  yes!). While I did miss out on some of our great running races here, I felt it was time to give my body a break so that I would be totally ready to dive back into it all in January with out being burned out.  This year, for the first time ever, I signed up for two Ironman races.  At the time I signed up (again) for Ironman AZ, I honestly wasn't sure it's what I wanted, but my husband was signing up, and I'm going to be in Coeur d'Alene all summer long with beautiful summer training, so well how could I not?

After a beautiful 10 days in Mexico (really the weather could NOT have been more perfect) I was so ready to get back into a routine.  I was sleeping in until 7-8 every morning, laying around on the beach, drinking dos equis and basking in the sun.  Sure I ran, I put in a good 40+ miles, but it's just not the same.  

As I started playing around with the coaching version of Training Peaks, I realized how much I MISSED going in and seeing new fun workouts for myself.  I couldn't wait to get back!  So, when I saw my first workout for January 1st, I was stoked! Clearly not that motivated since I was a wee bit too hung over on NY day to do the actual run.  But, I was determined to have an all "green" schedule for the week, so I just switched my easy run for the harder NY day run and was off to a good start.

Unfortunately when I got home my body had other things in store.  When Saturday rolled around and my plan called for a 3k swim followed by a 3hr bike and I slept in (again) until 8am, I was off to a slow start.  I got to the pool, but was freezing and sluggish and just got through the workout.  When I came back home and crawled into bed, spending the rest of the weekend sleeping and resting I knew I just had to let my body come around on it's own.

So week 1 didn't so much happen, but week two I had another shot.  Still not feeling 100%, I sdid manage to do all my workouts and put in a solid 14hrs of training.  I strapped my HR monitor on, and quickly noticed how elevated it was.  Having a few beats high is one thing, but mine was a good 10beats high even though my effort was super easy.  It was frustrating, but I know how much I trust in the plan, and pushing past what my body was up for is not the way to start out the week.  I ended the week with a 90min easy run, which was (for me) slow, but I was super happy to have completed the week with tired muscles and a happy brain!

This week coach stepped it up a little bit and I'm loving it.  Between a full training schedule, my job, coaching, talking to new potential athletes and planning camp, I'm super busy and shockingly a lot more productive (how is it possible to waste so much time when I'm not busy??).

The year is off to a fantastic start, and each day I'm learning something new.  I'm getting crazy excited about the many adventures ahead, in particular with TeamBSC.  I find myself approaching my own training differently, thinking more about it (what would I want my athlete to do in this session) vs just doing it, and I think it's making me a better athlete.  I'm reading more, learning more and finding more ways to help my athletes benefit from their training.  I've got a couple of new athletes starting in the next month or so, and I'm just ITCHING to start working with them.

This is going to be such an amazing year!

No comments: