My "everything" hurts.

Officially into week 2 of my training program. After having a half ass-ed summer of racing and training, followed by a marathon gone wrong, followed by 4 weeks of Mexico/Seattle lazy party bliss, I was ready to go. I spent 3 weeks in January just getting used to the idea of 3 runs, 3 swims, 3 bikes and 2 hours of strength training per week.

Mind you, all of those workouts were at a very easy effort, except for the strength training. Actually, I'm pretty sure the strength training is what is kicking my butt.

Like I said, "My everything hurts."

Daniel the torture training is really stepping it up a notch. I can see the smoke coming out his ears as he plays around coming up with new exercises for me to do, testing them on himself first to see which muscles they target best. I think he's on a mission to get me in tip top shape. I trust him, he's been training me for years. He knows my weaknesses and he knows what I need. It also helps that he did Ironman Canada last year so he knows what I'm up against.

Yesterday I walked in the gym, brownie bribe in hand and he just looked at me funny. Asked me if I was ok. He said I just looked worn down. Funny thing was, I was tired. I haven't been sleeping well, waking up the past few nights soaking wet in sweat, then unable to get back to sleep. He immediately sent me to the treadmill to warmup for a few mins. I whimpered for a minute, but did as I was told. And, of course he was right. It was just what I needed to get the blood flowing and wake me up.

Today was our first track workout. Coach had a fairly easy workout on the plan doing variations of 400s with some easy efforts, fast efforst and a very long cooldown off the track. However, things didn't go as planned. After my 2:30am drenched in sweat wakeup call I never really fell back asleep. So, when the alarm went off at 4:50am I was less than anxious.

After stumbling out of bed I realized how sore I was. from my quads to my hips to my triceps. I also had trouble finding my watch so we walked out the door way too late getting to the track when everyone was ready to star their workouts. I also noticed I forgot the workout somewhere in the house... Our coach has a couple other athletes at the track so he said he knew the workout, but he typically just decides which he prefers between the coach prescribed or the workout everyone else was doing.

Needless to say my planned semi easy workout turned into 12x400 with varying 200all out, 2oo easy.

It was hard to know pacing on that. Without running with most of the people around the track I didn't really know where I should place myself. Every once in a while I would glance at my garmin, but seeing the pace freaked me out so I stopped looking. I'm pretty sure I went WAY harder & faster than I was supposed to...

So, here I am half way through week 2 with the new coach and while I'm loving the ability to not thing and just go, and not be a slave to the HR monitor, but getting a grasp on perceived effort I am definitely feeling it all at once.

Funny how things can change in just a few hours. After my rest day Sunday I woke up Monday feeling like supergirl. My 1:20 run was the best I've done in months, if not ever on the specific loop I did. A few hours later I was at masters swim where I felt like I was a fish. I was never tired, or winded and just felt great... If only that feeling could have lasted just a little longer! From supergirl to put me out of my misery girl all within about 24 hours!

All I can say is I hope this pain is all worth it in the end. I said bring it, and I'm getting exactly what I asked for.

And I'm already looking forward to Sunday, my rest day.

Comments

Comm's said…
Love it Krista. That is a great post and the best thing is you can recycle most of it about every 18 months. haha.

Stay strong, you'll hit your stride and it will all come together perfectly.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Kona 23'

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge