Suck it up Buttercup

The theme for the next few weeks - Suck it up Buttercup.....

I should not have waited so long to post something. I've blogged in my head several times. Sitting on the beach in Mexico last weekend I was going to right all about the trip.... Riding for what seemed like eternity the day before we left...I was going to write all about that...

Somehow I just never found the time to sit down and write it all out, so for that I have to apologize in advance for the ramblings I'm about to start. At least I'm warning you. Oh and the 3 huge glasses of iced tea and 10hours of sleep last night won't help... just sayin.

Here we are Ironman Arizona weekend. I just got back from the expo with momo. Bless her heart she continued to train after CDA. Yes, so have I, but not the 6hour bikes. I just don't think I would of had that in me. That, or the thought of the "b-line." She's after something on Sunday though, and I have NO doubt in my mind that she will achieve it. We'll be out there all day long helping her get there... As if she needs it.

It was weird to be down there for an Ironman that I wasn't standing in line to register for. I thought I might have "that feeling," that desire in me wishing I was doing it... but I didn't. I guess that means I am doing the right thing by not having an Ironman on the schedule for next year. Or maybe it's just the home thing. To me the race is about the entire journey. I loved every minute of the course, the traveling, etc in Coeur d'Alene. I thought about doing IM Canada next year, but I didn't hop on it. Didn't register. I do think however, that will be my next one. Maybe training in dry, hot dessert makes me long for the hilly, GREEN scenery? The challenge? Who knows - but I'm sure when it comes time to making that call next year I'll know where I want to be.

For now I have my first "PLAN B" race coming up on Saturday. The best part about it is I convinced my girl to come join me. Really, it wasn't that hard. 109miles, followed by IM sherpaing momo, bloody Marys (don't worry momo, I promise we won't miss you even if we are a little buzzed. In fact, you might find us more entertaining!), oh and 85degrees. Like I said, it wasn't that hard to get here here....

The bike race will be a first for me. I'm riding my road bike. I couldn't seem to get the fit right on momo's and didn't have time to play with it, so I even though I did my training (if you can call it that - 3 long rides) on Momo's bike - I put Shane's Zipps on my road bike and while it's much heavier than momo's bike - it's comfortable. And, now Supa gets to ride momo's bike!

I've asked some advice from friends that have done the race before. Apparently the beginning is NUTS - there are 10-12000 people the do the race! There are 2 washes that we have to cross by getting of our bikes and carrying them over. I was told if you wear speedplay cleats the caps are a must of rocks etc. get stuck.

Like I said, and adventure.

Two weeks later I will finish off Plan B with the Tucson half marathon. I can't even believe how good my running has been. I'm excited to see what happens on race day.

After that it's time for some "off season" Let my body recoup. I've been basically "training" for a year straight, and I know in order to see improvements I have to let my body heal. I hate to see the fitness drop, but I know it has to in order to have a good year next year.

I'm still struggling with my lungs somewhat so I'm hoping some time off and rest will help my body heal entirely. If not, I will head back to my Dr. for some more tests.

Ya never know, maybe a holiday trip to the ocean will help them? I think I'll have to hope for that :-)

Comments

momo said…
are you sure it was tea and not speed? i know you'll be there - drunk or not - just save me one for after the race, k??????
Sonia said…
I've heard good things about IMC, very hilly and challenging but a well organized race. Hope you get to do it.

Have fun supporting your friend next week-end.
Carrie said…
have a fun ride- looking forward to the stories after the weekend!
J~Mom said…
Hope it goes great for you!! I can't wait to hear about it!!
Anonymous said…
Good luck - hope it goes well for you!
Benson said…
sounds like fun for you two. enjoy it.
You gotta do IM Canada. Exceptional course, stellar volunteers and screaming fast bike descents.

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'