Swim and bike and bike and bike and swim swim swim... with a side of run

It's been a while since my last post.  I've finally unthawed from the blair witch half marathon, and am now working on trying not to melt outside.  Oh how I miss our summer house in Flag last year..... It's officially been over a month since I cried (literally) over the freezing cold, so I'm now allowed to complain about the heat....

Truth be told maybe my epic meltdown in Ogden was a blessing in disguise.  I vowed to embrace the heat, at least for a month and I think I've actually done so!

The past 6 weeks have been an epic training block!  Since we decided to sign up for Lake Stevens 70.3, which has a killer/hard bike course it was time to do the work.  That combined with a BATSHITCRAZY training camp coming up in August with a 10k Ocean swim = lots and lots of biking and swimming.

This is what my training has looked like for the past 7 weeks since the Ogden half marathon...
I'm super excited to get to Lake Stevens and see if this bike block will pay off!  The last time I did this race in 06 - it was my second ever half ironman - here are my splits:


Let's just say I'm hoping for a bit of a course PR ;)  

To break up the past few weeks of training we've had some fun adventures, starting with a redo of Mt Lemmon.  We had a planned trip about a month ago, but Shane was sick and didn't even make the trip and I bailed about half way up when I started dry heaving and couldn't get my HR up.  So, a couple of weeks ago we headed back down.  It was a great confidence builder PR'ing my climb time (base to top)  by over 5 minutes without even working too hard.  It was a perfect day (except the descend when the wind picked up) and our entire group had a blast!

This past weekend we were fortunate enough to head up to Flag and stay with the Britton's who are up there all month!  Working remotely has it's benefits for sure, and we headed up Tuesday after work!  We got in 2 solid rides, one fantastic 60 group ride on Lake Mary and Tracy & did some solid muscular endurance (big gear) hill repeats on Saturday.

Unfortunately NAU was closed due to some crazy storms and flooding, but we found an alternative pool which we dubbed the Barbie Pool because it was like 2 ft deep - definitely made for some interesting flip turns.  Even managed a solid 4600 swim on Friday after hill sprints (running).  

It was a super fun week, with miles in the training bank, lots of laughs BSC style...

 And of course it wouldn't be a FLAG trip without some yummy Raspberry Ale!  Can't thank our hosts enough!
Shane & I finished off our training block today back in the sweat box of Scottsdale with a 3hr aerobic brick.  One more week of fine tuning for the race then off to Seattle for some race, and fun!


Comments

mtanner said…
Um... HUGE PR!!!!xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

IMCDA #7 -- The Sunset Year

Coeur d'Alene Scenic Challenge

Kona 23'